Building over
When planning any development work, like a property extension, it's important you know the local drainage arrangements on your land.

If there is a sewer within 3 metres of your proposed works, you'll need our consent before your works are carried out. This is to protect the sewer and the building from possible damage.


Our 'build over' process


If you can meet certain conditions, your project will be approved, and we will let you get on with your build without the need to contact us again.


Where a project does not meet the conditions, we will work with you to provide you with our consent via a formal build-over legal agreement.


For more advice and support, read our guidance notes.


For queries regarding building over of sewers, please call us 

0191 4196643.


You can also e-mail us at

Search our website