Adoption diversions and closures
Sewer adoption comes in two forms: new sewer adoption and existing sewer adoption. 
New sewer adoption

You can make an agreement with us to adopt a sewer prior to its construction.


What do you need to do?

You'll need to apply for a Section 104 Sewer Adoption Agreement.


On adoption, the sewer will become part of our sewerage network, and maintained at our expense.

Codes for Adoption

From the 1st April 2020 OFWAT introduced new standard practices across the water industry in England which cover the adoption of newly constructed sewers. The new practices are also referred to as 'the codes'.


This guidance introduced a new mandatory approach to sewer adoption including new procedures, a new system of redress and a new model sewer adoption agreement.


Further details on the new codes including Design and Construction Guidance, model agreements and levels of service can be found at WaterUK.


Click here to use our online Adoption Code Service Request form.

As part of the introduction of 'the codes' we consulted on our local practices relating to sewage pumping stations and easement requirements. For consistency after the 1-April we will continue to use our existing standard practices for both easements and pumping stations. Further details on our local practices can be found below.

Contact details
We realise that you may need to contact us at any time during the process so we’ve included contact details here


Developer Services
Northumbrian Water
Leat House
Pattinson Road
Tyne and Wear
NE38 8LB


Email :-


Once we have started to process any applications, you will be given contact details for a member of our team.


In the unlikley event that you are unable to contact our team using the information above, you can call

Laura Clegg - 0191 419 6605 -

Steve Wharton - 0194 419 6617 - 

Existing sewer adoption

You can ask Northumbrian Water to adopt existing sewers you currently own.


On adoption the sewer, or sewers, will become part of our sewerage network and maintained at our expense.


What do you need to do?


To start the adoption process, please complete the application form and return it to us.

Diverting an existing sewer

If the location of a public sewer prevents land development or property extension, it may be possible to divert the sewer, or sewers, with a Section 185 Sewer Diversion Agreement.


What do you need to do?


Our application form is below!

Abandonment of a public sewer 

In some circumstances, it may be possible to close a public sewer so that it can be abandoned.


Abandonment can remove a potential restriction from any future development of the site and may make any site remediation works easier.


Before we consider applying to close part of the public sewer network, we need to be absolutely certain that the considered length is no longer in use and is therefore not needed.


What do I need to do?


Apply for an abandonment of a public sewer with a Section 116 form, which you can find below.

Innovative construction products for new sewers

These guidance notes and forms are only to be used with S104, S185 or S98 applications.


They help us ensure appropriate use, design and construction of new products in the construction of adoptable sewerage assets.

Search our website