A series of free events will be held to update farmers, landowners, forestry and woodland managers, and anyone interested in rural matters on the latest business, environmental and regulatory developments.
The Farm Update North 2019 events will take place in Alnwick, Hexham and Newton Aycliffe, featuring speakers from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), the Environment Agency, the Farming Advice Service, National Farmers Union, Forestry Commission, Natural England, and Northumbrian Water.
Each event will feature topical presentations, as well as an opportunity for attendees to speak with representatives of the organisations. CLA Director North Dorothy Fairburn and CLA North Regional Advisers will also be attending these events.
Events will include a number of topical presentations:
• What is a High Performance Farm? - Charles Scott, Farm Business Survey
• Overview of rural development funding - Defra
• Cross compliance at a time of transition – Ian Cairns, Farming Advice Service
• The next 6 years of Catchment Management – Northumbrian Water
• Protecting our Environment: Hot Topics for 2019 – Environment Agency
• Diversifying into Forestry: Benefits and Funding Opportunities: Forestry Commission
Events will start at 10am, finishing at 1pm with lunch provided. There will also be an opportunity to speak to representatives of each participating organisation.
Dates and venues are:
• 5 February - Hexham Auction Mart, Tynedale Suite, Hexham, NE46 3SE
• 6 February - Alnwick Rugby Club, Greensfield Ave. Alnwick, NE66 1BE
• 7 February - Woodham Golf & Country Club, Burnhill Way, Newton Aycliffe, DL5 4PN
Rob Cooper, Catchment Adviser at Northumbrian Water, said: “The Farm Update North meetings have become important and informative events in the diaries of many farmers, landowners, and other interested parties, keeping them up to date with valuable information that helps them to prepare for the year ahead.
“This year will be no different, and it’s also a great opportunity for us to talk to those attendees and get equally useful insight into the issues they are anticipating.”
CLA North Adviser, Jane Harrison, who will be attending the event in Hexham, said: “Following on from last year’s event, this is ‘must attend’ as it brings together all the relevant players in the north east’s agricultural sector to give practical advice and knowledge to delegates.
“Topics at this event will range from rural funding opportunities through to the latest business, environmental and regulatory information to assist farmers. Farmers will also have the opportunity to network with their peers and experts from a variety of supporting organisations.”
Basis and NRoSO points will be available. Bookings can be made by contacting the CLA North office by telephone on 01748 90 7070, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.