Christmas came early for Kielder Winter Wonderland last night when it was named as one of the best tourism events in England.
Northumbrian Water’s Christmas experience, which takes place at Leaplish Waterside Park every year, scooped silver in the Best Tourism Event of the Year category at the VisitEngland Awards for Excellence (11 May).
The award places Kielder Winter Wonderland as one of the top two tourism events in the country, and the only North East event to be recognised in that category.
The festive extravaganza has been a sell-out for the last eleven years and remains a firm favourite with families visiting Kielder Water & Forest Park.
During the day-long event, which is organised in partnership with Dodgy Clutch Theatre Company, Kielder’s spectacular forest is transformed into an enchanted Winter Wonderland, full of festive surprises and attractions for everyone.
In addition, the event makes a huge impact on the rural tourism of Northumberland where local businesses and accommodation providers can benefit from the extra trade outside of peak season.
David Hall, Head of Leisure Strategy & Transformation, said: “Northumbrian Water is delighted to represent Northumberland and the North East, showcasing everything that is great about our region.
“To receive this award is a huge achievement for us and it marks 11 years of providing an amazing event, delighting thousands of children. Not only does the award recognise the quality of our event, but also its importance to the county’s local visitor economy.”
This award is the latest in a string of both regional and national tourism awards for Kielder Water & Forest Park. The roll of honour includes:
• 2014 North East Tourism Awards - Best Tourism Event of the Year – Gold - Kielder Winter Wonderland
• 2014 North East Tourism Awards - Holiday Park of the Year – Silver - Leaplish Waterside Park
• 2014 North East Tourism Awards - Self Catering Provider of the Year – Silver - Calvert Trust Kielder
• 2014 North East Tourism Awards - Access for All – Bronze - Calvert Trust Kielder
• 2014 North East Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year – Silver - Kielder Observatory
• 2014 VisitEngland Awards - Holiday Park of the Year – Bronze - Leaplish Waterside Park
• 2013 North East Tourism Awards - Holiday Park of the Year – Gold - Leaplish Waterside Park
• 2013 Visit England Awards – Best Tourism Experience – Kielder Water & Forest Park
David added: “It is the icing on the cake for us, Best Tourism Destination in 2013, named one of the country’s top three holiday parks in 2014 and now one of England’s top two events in 2015.”
For more information contact Janine Scott on 0191 301 6713
Kielder Water & Forest Park, which spans 250 square miles, is home to the largest forest in England and the largest man-made lake in northern Europe. It was awarded the number one tourism experience in England by Visit England 2013, and the most tranquil place in England by the Campaign to Protect Rural England. Together with Northumberland National Park, it was granted gold tier International Dark Sky Park status in December 2013.