A local water company is urging customers to be on their guard for Jack Frost this Christmas.
Northumbrian Water is warning home and business owners to protect water pipes during the cold snap.
The water company has produced a ‘Beat the freeze’ leaflet with advice and tips to avoid frozen and burst pipes in cold weather. The useful information can be downloaded from www.nwl.co.uk/Beatthefreeze.aspx.
Leanne Clough, Northumbrian Water’s communications advisor, said: “It’s not just people who need to keep warm and wrap up with extra layers in winter. Water tanks and pipes also need some protection in freezing weather.
“By taking simple steps, customers can keep homes and businesses frost-free and avoid costly plumbing bills this Christmas.”
Top tips to be prepared and ‘Beat the freeze’ this winter are:
• Pipes should be properly insulated, both inside and out.
• Set heating to come on for short periods every day to prevent pipes freezing.
• Make sure pipes and tanks in the loft are lagged.
• Check for draughts around windows and doors and insulate if needed.
• Keep the name of a local plumber handy in case of emergency.
• Customers should find out where a property’s internal stopcock is located and check that it works.
If customers are leaving a property or business unattended and cannot follow this advice, the water supply should be turned off at the private stop tap and internal water pipes and tanks should be drained.
| Beat the freeze leaflet
For more information contact Leanne Clough on 0191 301 6733.