Northumbrian Water provides you with high quality drinking water, supplied to your home every day. By drinking more water you could improve your own health and fitness.
Water helps every cell in our bodies stay healthy and it is important to drink water to keep our minds and bodies active. Our bodies need water to survive. Without water we would die in less than a week. Water in blood helps deliver food, oxygen and other useful things your cells need to keep going. By drinking plenty of water you can help to prevent a range of problems from headaches to kidney problems.
If you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated. We lose water just by breathing. Unless we replace the fluid we become dehydrated and this affects our body’s performance, exercise will feel much harder and we will begin to feel tired. If you experience cramp during exercise it’s a sure sign you have become dehydrated.
Drinking plenty of water can help you to:
• concentrate better and make your brain more efficient (13% more)
• stay healthy
• have healthier skin and fresher breath
• feel fresh and more alert
• perform better at exercise and sports
• prevent headaches and dizziness.
Lack of water (dehydration) can lead to:
• difficulty concentrating
• unhealthy skin and hair
• smelly breath
• health problems
• not performing to the best of your ability at sports.
A healthy drink?
Water is a naturally healthy drink. Many artificial drinks are high in sugar, caffeine and artificial additives. Water doesn’t harm your teeth, is calorie and cholesterol free and is available straight from the tap. The amount you need depends on how heavy you are, how active you are and what the weather is like.
• Every time you make a cup of tea or coffee, pour yourself a glass of water or even better, replace the hot drink with water
• Keep a jug of water in the fridge with a supply of lemon slices
• Liven up a glass of water with a squirt of lemon or lime juice
• Start as you mean to go on, with a glass of water when you wake up
• If you are out and about during the day, carry a bottle of tap water so you can have a drink whenever you want
• Whatever your age, whatever you do, water is good for you.